top of page

History of Barlow, Oregon

The current city of Barlow, Oregon is named after William Barlow, son of Samuel Barlow the original pioneer road builder who scouted out the Barlow Road with his sons in 1845 as an alternative route into Oregon City from The Dalles. The trail was to become more favorable than riding a raft from The Dalles to The Hudson Bay Co situated in  what is now Vancouver, Washington.

The parcel of land that would be platted in1891 by William and wife Martha Ann Barlow as the city of Barlow's had first been acquired 17 September 1850 from Mr. Thomas McKay by Samuel Kimbrough Barlow.

William bought the DLC from Samuel at a later time. A railroad station for the Southern Pacific railroad was built in 1870. An original Barlow's RR Building sits today near the RR crossing at So Barlow Rd and 99 E intersection & is listed in a Clackamas Co Survey of Historic Structures.

Today the RR tracks remain a class 1 mainline for the Union Pacific RR.  

The City of Barlow was incorporated in 1903 .

*The historic Barlow Fountain was a gift to the City in 1904 by William Barlow's daughter, Mary Susannah Barlow who remained in the family home for a time following the death of both of her parents: Martha Ann 1901 & William 1904, dates at the base of the memorial fountain. 

Today the City of Barlow is primarily a residential community and spans the very busy Barlow Road which acts as a connector between the city of Canby and Interstate 5. The Molalla and Pudding rivers are also located on the East and West sides respectively, of Barlow.

The City of Barlow has its own well and we independently supplying potable water to our residents.

 *Barlow Pioneer Cemetery which is located on property that was owned by Charlie Smith in earlier times sits along the west side of So Barlow Rd located outside of current city limits and is the final resting place of:

Samuel Kimbrough and his wife Susannah Lee; at her time of death Samuel set aside the property for the Barlow Pioneer Cemetery within his owned acreage in 1852. Other early Barlow residents are interred there; however burials have ceased to be allowed. 

*Barlow Road history on YouTube [1-5 videos]

Barlow Pioneer Cemetery_edited.jpg
SLB hdstn2011_edited.jpg
bottom of page